1 pound (3 cups) of light brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of evaporated milk
1 tablespoon of butter
2 cups of pecan halves
1. Mix the sugar, salt, milk and butter in a heavy pot over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
2. Raise the heat to medium and add the pecans. Stir constantly until it has reached the soft-ball stage. (Drop a couple of drops of the hot mixture into a cup of cool water. If a small ball forms, its ready.) The mixture will be thick; if it is too thick, add a couple of drops of hot water and stir to mix.
3. Remove from heat. Beat for about 2 minutes. The mixture will thicken more.
4. Drop by the teaspoon onto aluminum foil.
5. When the candy has cooled, gently lift each piece from the foil with a knife.
6 Store in airtight container.
Makes about 2 dozen.